Melbourne’s Best Animal Farms for Children
A long weekend is the best time to explore Victoria’s top animal farms and we have 10 of the best to help you!
1. Myuna Farm – Small Ideas members save 50% off Family Admission
A favourite in Doveton is Myuna Farm, where you can hold guinea pigs and rabbits, see snakes, lizards and other reptiles. Take a scenic train ride or pony ride. Feed the animals in the paddock and enjoy lunch at the cafe or even take your own picnic. There’s a playground opposite the cafe so you can watch your kids play with delight.
2. Collingwood Children’s Farm – Small Ideas members save 50% off Family Admission & 2 meals for the price of 1 at The Farm Cafe on weekdays
Where else can you experience farm life in the inner city? The Collingwood Children’s Farm and The Farm Cafe are open daily. Visitors can milk the cow twice daily, bottle feed young lambs (seasonal), wander around, feed the animals, help with farm chores, go into the paddocks with the sheep and goats, cuddle a guinea pig, waddle with the ducks, feed the chooks, look for eggs.
3. Bundoora Animal Farm – Small Ideas members save 1 Free Admission & 1 Free tractor ride
Feed and handle the farmyard animals at 11.30 and 3.30 daily. Take a tractor ride to visit the emus and kangaroos. There are several playgrounds and bbq facilities if you don’t wish to eat at the on-site cafe. With school holiday activities and animal encounters, it’s our favourite animal farm in the north!
4. The Big Goose – Small Ideas members save 1 Free Admission
A farm that has it ALL and by all I mean jumping pillows, playground, shows, mini golf, tractor rides, pony rides, mazes and all your favourite animals to see, touch and feed. There are always events and school holiday activities going this is a farm worth traveling to from wherever you live – make a day out of it!
5. Ballarat Wildlife Park – Small Ideas members save 20% on your family Admission
If you have a crocodile fan like my son then you won’t want to miss the croc show at Ballarat Wildlife Park. We enjoyed a full day of family fun here, roaming with the kangaroos, koalas, wombats, was devils, giant tortoises and snakes. There are daily one on one animal encounters with koala, wombat, snake or giant tortoise.
6. Moonlit Sanctuary – Small Ideas members save 10% on your family Admission
Melbourne’s award-winning wildlife park, with 10 hectares of bushland, meeting endangered species, feeding kangaroos and wallabies, petting koalas and enjoying encounters with colourful birds, reptiles, dingoes and many other animals. At night, it comes alive with world-famous lantern-lit tours. Night birds are active, tiny feathertail gliders and giant yellow-bellied gliders swoop around, and endangered quolls, pademelons and bettongs forage for food.
7. Living Legends – Small Ideas members save with 2 Admissions for the price of 1
Come to visit the champion Living Legends racehorses down in their paddocks on daily guided tours at 11.00 am and 2.00 pm each day. Rub noses with these legends of the racing turf. This coupon applies to the entrance to the horse paddock area, where you can visit with and pat the Living Legends, plus participation in the public tour where you will get up close and personal with the legends. There are also pictures and career information about each champion racehorse for you to read in the Living Legends paddock area.
8. Rain Hayne & Shine Farmyard – Small Ideas member save 50% on your family Admission
A children’s farm located in an authentic rustic farm setting with many very friendly farm animals to feed and pat along with lots of cuddly bunnies and guinea pigs. A feature of the farm is the many ‘hands-on’ experiences. There are friendly ponies and a horse to offer rides and a free hayride for people of all ages. Free cuppas and gas BBQs are available.BYO food. There are a small playground and hay shed to play in and lots of undercover areas. Get together with your family and friends for A Farmtastic Day Out!
9. Jirrahlinga Koala & Wildlife Sanctuary – Small Ideas members save with 2 Admissions for the price of 1
Make a day of it and pack up the family and head to Barwon Heads. See Koalas, Kangaroos, Wallabies and lots more Australian species; including a variety of native bird life. At designated times of the day enjoy a close encounter where you can get up close and personal with some of our native animals. (Yes this is included as part of your entry at no extra cost to you).
10. Churchill Island – Small Ideas members save 25% on the 4 park pass
4 Parks Pass Includes
- Penguin Parade general viewing
- Koala Conservation Centre
- Churchill Island Heritage Farm
- Antarctic Journey at the Nobbies Centre
NOTE The date of your visit to the Penguin Parade must be booked, however, you may then visit the Koalas, Churchill Island and Antarctic Journey once within 6 months of your penguin visit.
11. Chesterfield Farm – Small Ideas members receive 1 Free Entry
Chesterfield Farm is a historical farm situated in the heart of Scoresby, now operating as a tourist/children’s farm. The activities and animals give visitors a real “hands-on” experience of farm life.